Want to write for us? Here’s everything you need to know.
- Don’t panic, these don’t have to be a work of genius! Just send us a short paragraph of 100-200 words to give us an idea of what text(s) you will be looking at, the direction your paper’s analysis will take and any conclusion you intend to draw.
- Abstracts are due at least 5 days before your essay submission.
- The word count is 2,000-3,000 words.
- Footnotes containing only references will NOT contribute to the word count, while those containing an aside from the main body WILL.
- All references must be given in the Chicago style and all papers must be properly referenced with a full and alphabetised bibliography.
- Papers should be written in standard academic English.
- You can look at more than one text if you like, just try and keep things balanced.
- Being a good deal shorter, Review submissions do not require an abstract.
- The word count is 600 words: for reference, that’s about a page of A4, so keep it short and sweet!
- References will be less plentiful than the Academic section, however, any included should remain in the Chicago style. Any reviews containing secondary references should also include an alphabetised bibliography.
- Since these are not academic essays, feel free to utilise more variation in tone and language.
All Journal Submissions:
Be aware that all submissions:
- Must be your own work.
- Must not have been previously submitted for publication or submitted for any course running in the 2018-19 academic year.
- Should be submitted in MS Word format with double spacing and page numbers.
- Should use single quotation marks for quoted text, reserving double quotation marks for any quotes within quotes.
When you’re finished, send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get back to you. Do please type the section you are submitting to in the subject bar, i.e. ‘Reviews’ or ‘Academic’.
Please note that, depending on the volume of submissions, it may be necessary to restrict our acceptances. However, since the experience of writing is always valuable practice and a chance to explore new ideas, we hope you enjoy the work regardless.
- Academic abstracts deadline: minimum 5 days before essay submission.
- Academic papers deadline: 24th March.
- Reviews deadline: 24th March.
Feel free to submit in advance, and to make limited amendments until the deadline. Unfortunately, no late submissions can be accepted.